Stud Bulls, Human Embryos
Partager ce document
Professor in the Faculty of Medicine
Founding Director of the Faculty of Law's Centre for Medicine,
Ethics and Law at McGill University
... and politically incorrect people: reflections on an ethical society
Recently, I answered the phone and a reporter, who often contacts me, exclaimed, “You won’t believe what they’ve done now!” (they being the scientists). I said, “Oh my God, they’ve cloned a child and it’s just been announced”.
The reporter said, “No. No, they’ve cloned Starbuck”, Starbuck being the prize Canadian bull who died in 1998 at age 20, whose semen has been used to produce over 200,000 progeny around the world.
In fact, it is said that most of the prize cattle in the world are now related to him. She said, “We’ve just seen Starbuck II, this cute little one-month-old calf, who’s in a special facility in the veterinary school at
The reporter asked for my thoughts about this cloning event, and, as so often happens when we discuss the use of the new reproductive and genetic technologies in animals, we quickly moved to humans.
This is no accident. If we look at the history of the use of reprogenetic technologies, they have always been developed first in animals and then transferred to humans.
Professor Alan Trounson, the scientist involved in producing Louise Brown, the world’s first “test-tube” baby who was born in
“Stud Bulls, Human Embryos, and the Politically Incorrect” in Passionate about Ethics – A Round Table, Queen’s Quarterly, Spring 2001, pp.21-28.
Documents, études, textes connexes
- - 01/03/2001 - Réflexions sur le clonage humain [Français]
- - 18/02/2019 - La recherche sur les embryons humains en Belgique [Français]
- - 18/10/2018 - Révision de la loi relative au matériel corporel humain [Français]
- - 12/02/2017 - Avis relatif à organisation du don et des banques de matériel corporel humain [Français]
- - 18/05/2016 - CRIPR-CAS9 : quand l'Arlésienne refait surface ou le retour de la thérapie génique [Français]
- - 07/06/2015 - Rapport de la commission recherche embryons 2012-2014 [Français]
- - 18/12/2014 - Arrêt dans l'affaire C-364/13 / brevetabilité ovule humain/ embryon cyte [Français]
- - 01/01/2014 - Recherche sur l'embryon humain [Français]
- - 01/01/2014 - Données génétiques et tests [Français]
- - 01/01/2014 - Recherche Biomédicale [Français]